How to maintain compressor oil level of a reefer container ?
In Carrier 06DR compressors the
oil level must be maintained at less
than one-eighth of the oil in the
sight glass. The oil level fluctuates
as the compressor operates.
not a problem if the oil level in the
compressor cannot be seen, since
some of the oil is carried into the
system and after running for a while it
will return to the compressor and the
level will rise to normal .
A higher than normal oil level can
- A compressor to run at about
20-30°C above the normal
- higher power usage because
of the slapping action of the
crankshaft on the oil surface
- liquid slugging at start up from
excessive oil in the crank case
- mechanical problems such
as blown gaskets and broken
valves or rods.
The type of oil used depends on
the type of refrigerant used in the
system. CFCs and HCFCs use mineral
oil whereas HFCs require synthetic
polyolester oil (POEs). A POE is
hygroscopic in nature and must not
be exposed to atmospheric humidity.
Opened tins of POE must be used
Our detail pages contain many topics related with refrigeration process of various commodities and prepare for shipment , maintaining temperature in reefer containers ,troubleshooting etc.
- Precautions when working in refrigerated spaces
- How to change-over of refrigerants of a reefer container ?
- How to maintain compressor oil level of a reefer container ?
- Function of refrigerant receiver & where it is located?
- Maintenance requirement of condenser of a reefer container
- Reson of compressor failure and troubleshooting
- Maintenance of evaporator coil - how to replace the evaporator fan ?
- Maintenance of expansion valve
- Inspection of reefer components
- Reefer containers stowage guideline
- Refrigerated containers power consumption safety guideline
Copyright © 2011 www.reefercargocare.com All rights reserved.
All information contained in this website is for preliminary
information only and is not legally binding. The publisher of this website cannot take responsibility for any damage to your reefer cargo due inadequate data or errors. For any remarks please
We choose to refrigerate commodities such as fruits and vegetables because we want to prolong their “practical shelf life” – the time from harvest until the product loses its commercial value.
- How refrigeration process works in a reefer container ?
- Chilled and frozen refrigerated cargo - stuffing requirements
- Integrated reefer containers transporting commodities at trans-ocean services
- Maintenance requirement for integrated reefer containers